Name:
Location: Kent, United Kingdom

Stephen Bartley writes about poker and gambling. His passions away from work and family are horse racing, tea, drink and politics. Having escaped London, a world that involved double locks and baseball bats hidden by the door, Stephen moved with his partner, step-daughter and young son to Whitstable, a seaside town in Kent, where he resides in a coastal fortress with astonishing fields of fire. That makes it good for nights in, watching American racing, drinking cocktails and getting early nights.

Friday, March 24, 2006

Weird and pro

Well I must be on a roll, or something.

This isn't as easy as I thought. Lots more buttons than I was lead to believe. My crash course in the technical side only mentioned "Log-in", "Create Post" and "Publish". I'm already way out of my depth.

Anyway, I suppose I started this thing to avoid drying up. I have a day job writing. I write about poker. One of the first things you learn when you write about poker is that there's not much you can write about. Even less if you're not of the "Ace-King versus King-Jack" persuasion. I'm not, unfortunately, and I'm in trouble. A couple of ideas saw me though the darker months, but now, well, I'm holding on with my finger nails.

But enough of that. I decided rather than spending the day panel beating three mediocre sentences out of this machine, about some obscure poker pro with no personality, I figured writing something else might be good. Keep the creativity out of traction and the thinking muscles loose. I have my doubts though. One fear is that I'll use ideas here that I could get paid to use in office hours. But when I'm honest with myself I don't worry about that much anymore as I ran out of ideas months ago.

It's a constant worry of the Pro. Being found out, flipped over as a fraud, and having all your worst fears confirmed.

I called this 'Weird, and turning pro' because, well, that's how things have gone recently. My life has always had weirdness involved, in a fun and 'ooh' interesting way of course, and I have just turned pro. Three months to be exact and the view from this side is no clearer than it was over there. Now thought I get paid to do what I've always loved doing. But it was one hell of a ride getting here.

Hunter Thompson said it... "When the going get's weird, the weird turn pro." He was spot on. I loved Hunter. But the bastard shot himself. It left a gap in the world. Now what are we left with? We'll see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home