Name:
Location: Kent, United Kingdom

Stephen Bartley writes about poker and gambling. His passions away from work and family are horse racing, tea, drink and politics. Having escaped London, a world that involved double locks and baseball bats hidden by the door, Stephen moved with his partner, step-daughter and young son to Whitstable, a seaside town in Kent, where he resides in a coastal fortress with astonishing fields of fire. That makes it good for nights in, watching American racing, drinking cocktails and getting early nights.

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Orders from the top

Turns out, I may be forced to take time off this week. The chief called and ordered it. And I'm a loyal employee. It hadn't occurred to me before that I might not want to take a day off. But since he mentioned it I've been thinking he might be right.

I've worked solid for the last month or so. I've had time off but not really a whole day. The nature of the work means there's always something that needs doing. Standard hack work, technical things. But in between those you can relax. Not me. For some reason I headed to work. I had nothing better to do. Then, when I needed a night off to see my girlfriend, I'd be pissed if it wasn't possible.

In the delicate, shy, pre-relationship stage of knowing my girlfriend she asked me what I liked to do in my free time. For a start I was tongue tied anyway that night. But then I realised I couldn't think of anything. I used to write in my free time. Now that's my work time. The two have become one.

So maybe I'll take it easy tomorrow. And maybe wednesday. It's officially sanctioned. And I said I was a company man.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great site, how do you build such a cool site, its excellent.
»

7:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home