Name:
Location: Kent, United Kingdom

Stephen Bartley writes about poker and gambling. His passions away from work and family are horse racing, tea, drink and politics. Having escaped London, a world that involved double locks and baseball bats hidden by the door, Stephen moved with his partner, step-daughter and young son to Whitstable, a seaside town in Kent, where he resides in a coastal fortress with astonishing fields of fire. That makes it good for nights in, watching American racing, drinking cocktails and getting early nights.

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

The Fuckwit Shift

It's been a day of motherfuckers.

The day off started well but then took a nosedive into the 'bastards, cunts and fuckwits' world - a place that now gurantees no mother of mine will ever get the link to this thing.

Today was boots day. A rocky night at the PokerStars thing yesterday meant today should be better. It started that way. A slow morning with the boots plan. They'd be paid for with solid gold poker money. The significance was big. Perhaps because I'd let it get like that. The men in the shop didn't see it this way.

The guy sized me up pretty quick. "Judging by those tatty converse boots I'd say you were a size eight." Spot on, he was obviously highly professional. I told him I wanted to spend £150 on ankle high boots. Brown. A zip. What did he have in mind?

He showed me one pair. Nice. I'd take them if they had the eight. 15 minutes later, another chap, we'll call him Knobend, told me there were none in my size. 'How about any of the others?' He pointed at the top shelf. I'm too short for that kind of browsing.

I'd heard the enthusiasm for sending customers on their way happy from this place was minimal. I'd expected a hard sell, a "we'll have them in stock soon", or "let me show you what else we have". But fuck all. £150 on the table and the service of an untipped French waiter. The magic had suddenly gone and I felt low. Best get out.

Figured I'd try for books and magazines. No luck in the first for the book. Or the second. The third shop was on fire and he brigade were rushing in. The fourth had shut down. Magazines? No. The two shops I know of that sell Rolling Stone had obviously cancelled their order. Bastards. The boot people had called ahead.

The worst thing is that after 38 hours of smoke free living I'm back on the fags. I felt terrible after the first, second, and third actually. The fourth brought on misty surrender. Tomorrow maybe.

I'm also working. It seemed like the safe option. But depsite all this I'm still chipper. Worried, but on the sunny side enough to keep the fear down to manageable. There are things to be happy about. Keep that in mind.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home