Name:
Location: Kent, United Kingdom

Stephen Bartley writes about poker and gambling. His passions away from work and family are horse racing, tea, drink and politics. Having escaped London, a world that involved double locks and baseball bats hidden by the door, Stephen moved with his partner, step-daughter and young son to Whitstable, a seaside town in Kent, where he resides in a coastal fortress with astonishing fields of fire. That makes it good for nights in, watching American racing, drinking cocktails and getting early nights.

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Nightshift, and control of the remote

It turns out that TV in the middle of the night is much better than the middle of the day. 3am and there's a choice of a double episode of ER, or a replay of the Italy vs Australia game played earlier today. Or I can learn Spanish on BBC 2. Australia were robbed by the looks of things, but that Italy goal saved me a one point bet in the 93rd minute.

I haven't seen ER for a while. Not really the best show to watch when you're looking to fall asleep. A plane crash in today's episode. The viewer knew this would be a good one when the Channel 4 announcer said there were graphic scenes of carnage prior to the credits. This is always a good way to bump up the viewing figures. We expect the promise of mayhem to be paid off in full. The thirst for blood is strong.

Instead, it's just the emotional side of things that we should be warned about. Also a warning about how you'll feel about mortality before the first break. It's enough to put you off your cigarettes in the hope of a long and painfree life. All of a sudden I feel bad about the nine cigarettes I chained smoked in the garden tonight.

But the world is a distorted place at 3am, and should never be trusted. Like an old friend who turns up on your door and asks to borrow money after a stint inside. You remember things should be right, but at the same time you know not to trust it. 3am used to be a friend of mine. Now it feels like someone I used to know letting me sleep on their sofa.

Last time I watched ER was at university, when friends would go to one house and watch with tea. I hated university - I've been there already haven't I? But I suppose in amongst the wreckage, the baggage and crooked memories, there were moments on niceness. No, I still hated those three years.

And just as the mood changes so too does the telly. We're back to Big Brother, "live from the house". What does that mean? Watching people sleep? Or are they sat awake too wondering what's stoping their brain from shutting down for a few hours? I'm not sure. I'm not going to wait and see.

But wait. What's this? "There could be strong language and adult content". All of a sudden we're back in business. Wake those fuckers up.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sweet Cheek said...

I hope this tv advice is up to scratch during my next 3am feed...I expect serious ER carnage.

or I will be forced to watch 3 episodes of Vicar of Dibley back to back....

Mama (not yours)

11:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home