Name:
Location: Kent, United Kingdom

Stephen Bartley writes about poker and gambling. His passions away from work and family are horse racing, tea, drink and politics. Having escaped London, a world that involved double locks and baseball bats hidden by the door, Stephen moved with his partner, step-daughter and young son to Whitstable, a seaside town in Kent, where he resides in a coastal fortress with astonishing fields of fire. That makes it good for nights in, watching American racing, drinking cocktails and getting early nights.

Monday, October 30, 2006

Gel sir?

There's only so much hair left on my head these days that soon a trip to the barber will be over, start to finish, in a little under two minutes. So while it lasts I find it's best to give it the attention it deserves. Attention yes, but I'm having trouble justifying to myself the £16 bill.

All I wanted was a quick trim. I went in, waited a few minutes reading a magazine, and then got into the chair. Fair enough, it was a mess. No shower this morning, a two hour wait in an airport, a one hour flight, another hour to work and a hassled day of cigarettes and coffee. Nobody facing those conditions is going to look like they just walked out of a salon. "Wash as well?" he asked. I knew what he meant. I had no choice. "Lean forward please."

This marked the first time anybody else has washed my hair since I was about 8 years old. A man in his late fifties began lathering my head. Soon, he had the hairdryer in my eyes. Then, a snip here and there before the clippers came out. That was it. Over. "£16 please". It costs £6 down the road.

Perhaps I'm not myself today. Perhaps it was the late onset of cheeriness that made me go for an impulse cut. But it needed doing before I went away, and now that I'm back it was time to toast being home. Look smart, the rest will follow.

Glad to be back. And at least the winner was a good bloke. Humble. That's scarce in these circles.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home