Name:
Location: Kent, United Kingdom

Stephen Bartley writes about poker and gambling. His passions away from work and family are horse racing, tea, drink and politics. Having escaped London, a world that involved double locks and baseball bats hidden by the door, Stephen moved with his partner, step-daughter and young son to Whitstable, a seaside town in Kent, where he resides in a coastal fortress with astonishing fields of fire. That makes it good for nights in, watching American racing, drinking cocktails and getting early nights.

Friday, December 15, 2006

Lifeboats

Apparently the world is heating up. There's no snow in the Alps, Kew Garden's bushes are blossoming again, thinking it’s Spring, (it stresses them out apparently) and a US Senator from one of the Dakotas is critically ill. If he dies we say goodbye to what Green policies were prepared to come out of corporate America.

The thing is, I don't care. Not today. A few years ago these things would make me angry. But as you get older the world gets smaller and you learn to keep the important things never more than an arms reach away. Only tonight they're not in arms reach. Instead they hurt and live just beyond the world you can get to. I can see them in my head but can't find a way through the glass to fix it all. It’s a helpless feeling and at the same time I feel like a coward.

And on these nights that seem like the world is ending there is always an episode of ER on late night TV; God-like story lines about the beautiful people pretending to struggle. Well, the beautiful people are right here on ground level too and there's no pretending. So you do all you can and drink yourself tired so you'll go to sleep. You hope that all that crap about tomorrow being better is true. Turn over and go to sleep. It'll be better tomorrow, and you won't hate everything so much.


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eat some PB&J Ste - PB&J is good for the soul.

1:37 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Is it true? Have you not posted in four months? Yes, I'm awful for only checking in now. But I have been thinking about you and wondering how you've been. It was so nice to see your name mentioned on Pauly's blog. And I only very rarely read that, too. I've got a steady job now that keeps me occupied. And then theres the wedding coming up. Please email when you can and let me know if youll be in Vegas this summer. It'd be lovely to see you. And of course I'd insist that you'd play in our wedding-related poker tournament.
I hope you're well. -- Jen

6:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home