Name:
Location: Kent, United Kingdom

Stephen Bartley writes about poker and gambling. His passions away from work and family are horse racing, tea, drink and politics. Having escaped London, a world that involved double locks and baseball bats hidden by the door, Stephen moved with his partner, step-daughter and young son to Whitstable, a seaside town in Kent, where he resides in a coastal fortress with astonishing fields of fire. That makes it good for nights in, watching American racing, drinking cocktails and getting early nights.

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Night Shift Magic

The walk home. No wait, I mean the taxi home. As I turned onto Tooting Bec Road I figured walking would be the only option at 2am. No buses, that much was certain, and taxis are few. But a man was standing outside the taxi office and as he turned to look at me he waved. I looked behind me, no point waving if there was someone behind me, but there was no one. I waved back.

The last taxi driver in Tooting was on his way home. "I saw you coming and know you're a regular. I thought you might need a taxi." He needed no directions, just the five minute drive and a four minute chat about the weather. I tipped big. I got home, and he set off to his.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home