Name:
Location: Kent, United Kingdom

Stephen Bartley writes about poker and gambling. His passions away from work and family are horse racing, tea, drink and politics. Having escaped London, a world that involved double locks and baseball bats hidden by the door, Stephen moved with his partner, step-daughter and young son to Whitstable, a seaside town in Kent, where he resides in a coastal fortress with astonishing fields of fire. That makes it good for nights in, watching American racing, drinking cocktails and getting early nights.

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Tuesday Night

Blogging on a Tuesday night. Days like these and I’m glad when it’s dark. It’s like cover. Less exposure to the world. Hide inside.

I only realised yesterday that today was voting day in America. I realised shortly after that that I don’t really care. Terrible. I used to follow this stuff closely, but now, having allowed cynicism to grasp me in its iron claw, I realise that the best man or woman can never win, because they don’t ever stand in the first place. And in America the best lawyers win.

But enough of that. I have to fill the hours somehow and election news might just do the trick. Besides, I’ve written an article today to be published somewhere over in the States. The least I can do is see what kind of moron will be elected to ban it from ever reaching print.

But first it has to pass the eager eye of my editor. Only then will it be emailed to some muppet with bad grammar to cut it in half and paste it onto page 19. I love being a hack.

And what is it I’m avoiding now? My Nanowrimo novel thing. 50,000 words. I’m not even keen to say how far I am along. Basically it’s a chance to let my imagination run around for a while, before I reign it in and tell it to stop wasting time and write about some Norwegian bloke who plays poker online. But whilst it can run free that’s good.

Where was I? Yes. I can’t remember. Avoiding stuff. Enough of that. When there's no bus to get at 1 o'clock in the morning I'm not sure what to do with myself.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jen Leo said...

WHAT!!!
You're doing Nanowrimo this month AND you have heart probs?

Amazing what can happen in a few weeks, or months.

I'm VERY excited that you're participating in the Nano. Have at it! Keep it up! That's awesome.

3:56 AM  
Blogger Stephen said...

Yes Jen.

Although maybe it's the 1,600 words of utter rubbish each day that's causing the heart condition?

That'll keep me awake...

9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home