Name:
Location: Kent, United Kingdom

Stephen Bartley writes about poker and gambling. His passions away from work and family are horse racing, tea, drink and politics. Having escaped London, a world that involved double locks and baseball bats hidden by the door, Stephen moved with his partner, step-daughter and young son to Whitstable, a seaside town in Kent, where he resides in a coastal fortress with astonishing fields of fire. That makes it good for nights in, watching American racing, drinking cocktails and getting early nights.

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Strange and Unusual Men in Cars

The journey home from Tooting Bec. All is well in the world.

Walking up Upper Tooting Road tonight with my Dublin luggage and usual laptop bag. A car of drunks pulled up and asked if I wanted a lift. Three fifty-ish drunks. I think they were kidding. I was too tired to speak anyway so gave them a brief head shake. I was outside Tooting Bec's best Non-corner Corner shop going in to buy milk. I'm always glad I remember these things at 1am when coffee eight hours later can make or break a day.

I've been asked if I wanted to get into a car by strange men once before. I was about ten years old I think, living on an RAF estate in Chester. I was out on my bike with a friend and at the end of the road was a red Austin Marina. Two guys, one old one young asked us if we wanted to get in? At least we thought they said that. The memory is blurred but there were two of us so we both couldn't have been making it up. And I wasn't yet mental in those days.

Anyway, we were good kids. The police were called. Juliet Bravo and Reg from The Bill I think. We were separated for questioning and then an estate wide man-hunt was set up, looking for a dodgy red car. That's all I remember. Very exciting.

So yes, I said no to the drunks tonight. I'm still a good kid. Up to the taxi office instead where different old men drive around looking for people to get in. But at least these ones know where I live and make small talk if I want it and shut up if I don't. Passed the 90 year old lady bent double. I didn't even say hello this time. She has things on her mind.

Back to Streatham. Dull. Must look to move soon.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home