Name:
Location: Kent, United Kingdom

Stephen Bartley writes about poker and gambling. His passions away from work and family are horse racing, tea, drink and politics. Having escaped London, a world that involved double locks and baseball bats hidden by the door, Stephen moved with his partner, step-daughter and young son to Whitstable, a seaside town in Kent, where he resides in a coastal fortress with astonishing fields of fire. That makes it good for nights in, watching American racing, drinking cocktails and getting early nights.

Thursday, May 25, 2006

Are We Old?

My friend Kate is about 8.75 months pregnant. Pretty soon she'll either explode or be a mum, and I think she would be happy either way. It's a big thing - a Pennine bulge out front and a life changing moment. We're grown up. It's scary, in a driving fast kind of way.

Lots of new things in the last two or three months. One minute you're deaf to the world, next minute you're building beds for children and preparing to baby sit.

Then maybe she'll be able to go out again. She's the lifeblood of the meeting up scene, a natural organiser with an eye for trendy bars. I need that. I have other friends in London, but can't for the life of me remember where they live.

So sooner or later her blog will stop and she'll go to a bleached place where they'll tell her to breathe, push, stop breathing, and pull. 'Pull' being the last word any pending mother wants to here, when the staff sees something they don’t like, and think best that it turns back.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sweet Cheek said...

Ste can you send me some pineapple? Cheers.

5:00 PM  
Blogger Stephen said...

I'm sending it over to you as fast as I can grow it in my back garden Kate. The pineapple is easy enough but knocking together the tins is murder on my hands.

6:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home