Name:
Location: Kent, United Kingdom

Stephen Bartley writes about poker and gambling. His passions away from work and family are horse racing, tea, drink and politics. Having escaped London, a world that involved double locks and baseball bats hidden by the door, Stephen moved with his partner, step-daughter and young son to Whitstable, a seaside town in Kent, where he resides in a coastal fortress with astonishing fields of fire. That makes it good for nights in, watching American racing, drinking cocktails and getting early nights.

Sunday, March 26, 2006

Winners and wads of fake cash

Well that's that.

Three days of the district line, dodgy sandwiches and having to sit in on conversations about things normal people will never understand. The British Poker Open is over.

But the press corp are rarely made in the standard mold, and we thrive in these circumstances, where conversation is one-sided and even nodding compliantly doesn't get your name remembered. It's a cutting edge world.

I'm glad it's over. Noah Boeken won, to the relief of the marketeers who can now use his name to promote the thing next year. It was touch and go that an unknown qualifier would triumph, but when it went heads up between Noah and Marc Goodwin, they began to rest easy. They even began to care less about the thinning audience.

Marc Goodwin took second, and immediately headed to The Vic where he held the overnight chip lead in the final day of the big one there. I say 'big one'. I really have no idea. I just know he's on fire these days and doesn't want to go to sleep in case he loses form...

Glad to be out of there, despite the hospitality, and back to home working, where at least when I talk to myself I call myself by name.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jen Leo said...

I find myself having more time to read your blog than I do to update mine. That said, I set up an eight year-old and a 14 year-old with their own blogs this weekend. They're loving it.

I'm glad Noah won. He's very motivated. On this side of the pond there was the big PokerHost charity tourney at the Playboy Mansion. John went. He said that his idea of the place was better than the real deal. And the two bunnies that were there, seemed liked they'd had a hard life for a bit too long.

All the hotties must be at the Palms. ;-)

2:45 AM  
Blogger Stephen said...

Hi Jen
Yep, you're partly responsible for getting this damn thing going - thanks.
Does John work with Noah through Pokernews? I like Noah, even though he did get me into trouble with Joe Hachem!
What was that you said about the Playboy Mansion?
Stephen

10:07 PM  
Blogger Jen Leo said...

Yes, John works with Noah on PokerNews.com. Noah runs the Dutch site. I rode the train with the two of them and Noah after we left you in Deauville. He's charming and he knows it. :-)

Re the poker mansion, here's John's review.

http://euroschecky.blogspot.com/2006/03/why-do-i-have-blog-for-nights-like.html

I wish you were coming to Vegas next month, dammit.

6:06 AM  
Blogger Jen Leo said...

I meant the two of them and Marcel.

6:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home