Name:
Location: Kent, United Kingdom

Stephen Bartley writes about poker and gambling. His passions away from work and family are horse racing, tea, drink and politics. Having escaped London, a world that involved double locks and baseball bats hidden by the door, Stephen moved with his partner, step-daughter and young son to Whitstable, a seaside town in Kent, where he resides in a coastal fortress with astonishing fields of fire. That makes it good for nights in, watching American racing, drinking cocktails and getting early nights.

Friday, April 28, 2006

Short Cowboys

If blogging is one thing it's a sign that you don't want to do proper work.

On the cards is one of those jobs that will take ages and will only be finished after a monotonous trudge through 40 minutes of notes on my dictaphone. If I was paid more than poverty pay I'd hire someone to do transcribing for me. But I am paid poverty pay, so it's my fingers that will do the work. Maybe I should have a sandwich first?

Poverty pay. Yes. Actually, it's not that bad. Anywhere but London and I'd be handsomely paid. But in London it means no house, no car, no pension. Just prospects I'm told. But I can't spend those. I don't even want a car.

A big thing that's been going on for 18 months came to an end a couple of weeks ago. I was told I should buy something to mark the occasion. Something poignant and expensive. I can do poignant, but the expensive thing has me sweating. And isn't £150 too much for a pair of cowboy boots?

Cowboy boots. Yes. They're cheaper than a motorbike, and you can find them on The Kings Road. They're not really Cowboy boots, just boots really. No spurs. So was I going to pay £150 just to put 'cowboy' at the front? That thought will stick. And who wants to look like a cowboy anyway? Twisted mind.

But they'd be poignant alright. And they'd add an inch to my 5 foot 6 inch frame so my girlfriend could wear heels.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Buy the boots! If you worry about spending that much, convince yourself it's a favour to me. I really want to wear heels. :-)

Jo

1:49 PM  
Blogger Stephen said...

Well, in that case...

But do I get them with or without the turquoise navajo buckle?

3:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe you just had me searching a website call arseholes for a reference to navajo buckles -I'm supposed to be working! But I couldn't see turquoise buckles, still looking...

Jo

3:52 PM  
Blogger Stephen said...

Seeing as though you can't find it i'll skip the buckle. I'd need a horse to make them really look good anyway.

:oP

7:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home