Name:
Location: Kent, United Kingdom

Stephen Bartley writes about poker and gambling. His passions away from work and family are horse racing, tea, drink and politics. Having escaped London, a world that involved double locks and baseball bats hidden by the door, Stephen moved with his partner, step-daughter and young son to Whitstable, a seaside town in Kent, where he resides in a coastal fortress with astonishing fields of fire. That makes it good for nights in, watching American racing, drinking cocktails and getting early nights.

Friday, May 26, 2006

The Article That Ate PokerStars

There goes the weekend...

I'm stuck in the muddy banks of an article that I just can't finish. The problem is that when it comes to writing these things I start in the middle and work my way out. I head off in one direction, go back to the middle and aim for the other shore. At the end of this process I have two dozen paragraphs, some of them good, but with nothing in common other than the same spelling mistakes.

So I'm working on this. Have to because I now have a triage system in place to deal with the articles I need to write. PokerStars is one, but Johnny Chan has been rushed in on a gurney and will need dealing with some time soon. A quick interview today means a long article tomorrow. Or the day after maybe. Either way Bank Holiday to me just means I can't pay any cheques in on Monday.

Then there are a couple of others in the pipeline. Somewhere in between all this I need to find some time off. I can feel a power surge coming on that could leave me frazzled and unapproachable for some time. This is good in some ways, because there are some people who I don't want to be approached by. But there are others too, who approach in nice ways, and that's more important.

But it's nothing a milky-way on the way home can't fix.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jen Leo said...

Hey, I have an editor now. Sure, I have to pay her. But shes a godsend. When I get stuck on a story, I send it over to her and she asks me a bunch of questions that tighten my focus, and she cleans up all my grammar errors and typos.

An editor is a great thing to have. Even if it's a writing partner that you can trust and bounce ideas off of. Someone that you can listen to, so if they think you should rework your lead, or change your angle, you'll hear them out, and not take offense.

I cant do this weekly, but I'd be willing to do it occassionally. What do you think?

4:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home