Name:
Location: Kent, United Kingdom

Stephen Bartley writes about poker and gambling. His passions away from work and family are horse racing, tea, drink and politics. Having escaped London, a world that involved double locks and baseball bats hidden by the door, Stephen moved with his partner, step-daughter and young son to Whitstable, a seaside town in Kent, where he resides in a coastal fortress with astonishing fields of fire. That makes it good for nights in, watching American racing, drinking cocktails and getting early nights.

Saturday, September 09, 2006

Barcelona

I have to go to Barcelona. Tuesday. I’m looking for a quick five days. Get there. Work. Get back. It’s a simple plan, but one that got me through Las Vegas relatively unscathed.

I only hear great things about Barcelona, which in a way makes things worse. I’m not sure I want to enjoy it. I like my job, or at least what I do, but being away from home is annoying these days. I’m feeling responsible for the first time in my life. And going away seems unnatural.

So I arrive Tuesday afternoon, head over to PokerStars base camp to interview a German player I have no interest in and then a popular Spanish player who I’m told doesn’t speak much English. ‘Fuck it’, I said, ‘we’ll give it a go’.

It could be a good tournament. The EPT normally is, and PokerStars know what they’re doing now, dammit. I’ll try and see Barcelona. Like Paris, they start late in the day, leaving time for other stuff, which I’ll try to fill up to avoid it seeming slow. Counter that with 4am finishes and things should speed up again.

But this isn’t a rant about work. I can’t complain too much. If I was suddenly plunged into office hours I’d probably freak out. Just that trips away always coincide with wanting to stay home. It’s difficult to get used to.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jen Leo said...

Well, you're going to have to enjoy Barcelona at least a little bit. Just while I'm there!!!

That's right, John has to cover it for PokerNews and we're using his miles to bring me over, too!

BARCELONA AND LONDON. :-)

I'm on book tour now so I won't get there till the night of the 15th, but definitely plan on lunch the 16th before the whole thing ends!!!
Ok? We'll explore Las Ramblas or something. :-)

6:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home