Name:
Location: Kent, United Kingdom

Stephen Bartley writes about poker and gambling. His passions away from work and family are horse racing, tea, drink and politics. Having escaped London, a world that involved double locks and baseball bats hidden by the door, Stephen moved with his partner, step-daughter and young son to Whitstable, a seaside town in Kent, where he resides in a coastal fortress with astonishing fields of fire. That makes it good for nights in, watching American racing, drinking cocktails and getting early nights.

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

The Food Crisis

Food is a bit of a problem right now. Lack of it mainly, combined with a strong urge to stay away from Streatham supermarkets. They're miserable places, not helped by the fact that it's a Sainsbury's local and they only sell ready meals, sweets and booze. I don't like the first, should cut back on the second and gave up the third six years ago. At this rate though I'll be back on all three sooner than I think.

I'm pretty sure it's because my fondness for Streatham is fading. I liked it at first. I felt I was at one with the people. Then disaster struck. I realised I've never been one of the people and when I am the people don't like me and it's best to keep clear.

But today I cooked 'proper' food. Proper being 'warm food' rather than a bowl of Bran Flakes. At this stage cooking is too much like ready steady cook. Five items are found in the cupboard, totally inappropriate for any kind of team work. But each item is thrown in the pan regardless resulting in a kind of tuna-basil-old ham-yoghurt hot pot. Few can stomach it.

So I'm putting the option of moving back on the table. Somewhere with shops and that's a walk rather than a nightbus away from Tooting. I can't afford it of course. The table neither. So technically the idea is on the floor. But it's still there to be stepped over everyday, and that's a start.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jen Leo said...

Make sure you remember to bring an extra box of cereal with you to Barcelona. Don't want things to go the way Vegas did with food!

See you soon!

6:33 AM  
Blogger Stephen said...

See you when you get here Jen. Bring an umbrella. It's pissing it down.

Steve

1:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home