Name:
Location: Kent, United Kingdom

Stephen Bartley writes about poker and gambling. His passions away from work and family are horse racing, tea, drink and politics. Having escaped London, a world that involved double locks and baseball bats hidden by the door, Stephen moved with his partner, step-daughter and young son to Whitstable, a seaside town in Kent, where he resides in a coastal fortress with astonishing fields of fire. That makes it good for nights in, watching American racing, drinking cocktails and getting early nights.

Saturday, April 01, 2006

The Boat Race

It's the boat race tomorrow, a pretty pointless main feature of the BBC sporting calendar. Two teams of people I have a grudge against rowing like bastards along the Thames. I skip it normally but I got a tip yesterday that the Cambridge team are a Shoe-in. I like this kind of bet, because I have someone to blame if it goes wrong.

So, on goes a chunk of the £16.41 I have left in my William Hill account. It's a miserable penny-pinching amount, but it was down to £4.66 not so long ago. I put it all on West Ham in the Cup in a moment of Karmic importance. The Hammers came through.

Not much of an account - not much of a gambler. There's supposed to be a certain level of research in betting, studying the things that give you an edge, that kind of thing. But i've always found this to ruin the impulse decisions that makes gambling fun. That sixth sense that finds you a way to lose your money quicker. This could be an important lesson.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home