Name:
Location: Kent, United Kingdom

Stephen Bartley writes about poker and gambling. His passions away from work and family are horse racing, tea, drink and politics. Having escaped London, a world that involved double locks and baseball bats hidden by the door, Stephen moved with his partner, step-daughter and young son to Whitstable, a seaside town in Kent, where he resides in a coastal fortress with astonishing fields of fire. That makes it good for nights in, watching American racing, drinking cocktails and getting early nights.

Sunday, April 23, 2006

Sofas

Bethnal Green tonight. The sofa is a good one, and the flat calm. This will do as we tick off another night of homlessness in the smoke. I've been dishing out more money that usual to homeless people this last week. Not much, but I feel like I need the good will.

It's tricky getting around London when you pick the last tube from Tooting Bec as the one to make a run for.

Tubes were a mess today. For a start there were no south bound northern line trains at the time I needed them. This is normally okay. When you're going to work for example. But when you've only a few hours free you're left with the London taxi corp. So I got in line at London Bridge, made a quick call ahead, before I realised the queue for cabs has formed around me and I was at the back. Talked my way back to the front and shared the fare with a guy heading to Clapham. It was a good plan B.

Which is probably why I only managed the last tube back to London. Never like leaving.

I made it to Moorgate and came out to spend 15 minutes working out which way was north. But with the right cunning and quick talking you can persuade any taxi driver to take you anywhere. So we're in Bethnal Green, even though the bastard charged me extra for stopping at a 24 hour garage.

So I have a new home at the end of the week, and so does my girlfriend next month, in a place where she wanted, with the right kind of magic and tattiness. And depending on how athletic I feel I can walk there in 20 minutes without my work bag. About an hour and a half with it. Need to start packing light.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jen Leo said...

Sorry I've been away from the scene. Snowed under as they say. So, please write to me and catch me up as I read backwards.

Girlfriend? Is this a new one?
Homeless? Whose sofa are you on?

Wish you'd been in Vegas.

11:32 PM  
Blogger Stephen said...

Try to keep up Jen, this is what I've been emailing you about! And be careful what you say - try to make me look good - She might be reading...
:o)

12:02 AM  
Blogger Stephen said...

Hang on, just re-read that. No, she's not a new one! She's the one I've been going on about for weeks!
Just getting that straight...

12:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home