Name:
Location: Kent, United Kingdom

Stephen Bartley writes about poker and gambling. His passions away from work and family are horse racing, tea, drink and politics. Having escaped London, a world that involved double locks and baseball bats hidden by the door, Stephen moved with his partner, step-daughter and young son to Whitstable, a seaside town in Kent, where he resides in a coastal fortress with astonishing fields of fire. That makes it good for nights in, watching American racing, drinking cocktails and getting early nights.

Friday, April 21, 2006

Writing Long and Short

I'm going to the Tate tonight. Crap, do I need to book? I'm not even sure what's on but my money is on something strange that a man like me will never fully understand. So I won't try. I'll keep my opinions to myself and try to pass as someone who can appreciate this kind of place. It's a good place.

So that leaves another day at "work" to get through., sat in the bar at Gutshot trying to look occupied when the boss walks in. I am occupied, but it's one of those jobs where you quickly sense that you're really using skills you don't have. And skills you don't have are called weaknesses.

Corporate writing. Where the hell to start? I'm dumping adjectives and verbs when I can and keeping it short. Long words are in there, naturally. That should be enough. Get it done and don't look back. No, that doesn't work. I tried that last time. Must focus. Stay calm.

Then two articles to rattle off without feeling like a hack. But where else would you want to be than at the coal face working in the dark?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home