Name:
Location: Kent, United Kingdom

Stephen Bartley writes about poker and gambling. His passions away from work and family are horse racing, tea, drink and politics. Having escaped London, a world that involved double locks and baseball bats hidden by the door, Stephen moved with his partner, step-daughter and young son to Whitstable, a seaside town in Kent, where he resides in a coastal fortress with astonishing fields of fire. That makes it good for nights in, watching American racing, drinking cocktails and getting early nights.

Monday, April 17, 2006

Whitstable

I know, just what the hell is Whitstable? Well it's a place, a sea side town with beach huts and pebbles on the north shore of Kent. I had no idea where it was three days ago, but I just got back from a one night trip there. Didn't see much of the town, or the pebbles, or the beach huts now I think of it, but I love the place. But you always do when you steal 22 hours away anywhere with someone you can't stand to be away from.

But anyway, enough of that. I'll keep the rest of it in my head. But now I'm back in London plotting the next few days of accomodation, fighting off the demons which keep asking, "where are you going to sleep tonight shorty?"

I figure one solution is the train. I always fall asleep on trains, even with a good night's sleep. It must be the rocking motion. Anyway, the Circle Line would be good, because it just keeps going round and round. And everyone sleeps there so the guards don't get suspicious. It only runs till 12.30am though. Then I'd have to think about something else. And I suppose I might get dizzy.

That's not really an option, things aren't that bad. So I'm pulling an all nighter tonight, work, then poker, all liberally laced with as much caffeine as I can get my hands on, and with an Editorial expense account here in my name I can get hold of quite a lot. Coke, coffee and the king of keeper-uppers, Red Bull.

I once told a poker player the virtues of Red Bull when he was playing the final table of a major European event, and was feeling tired. "I'm so tired I don't care if I go out of this thing now. Then I could sleep." Sensing the lunacy in his voice, I told a friend of his to send Red Bull to the table at ten minute intervals. He did, his friend won the whole thing, picking up somewhere around €500,000. He still thanks me.

Yes, those who can't do teach, those who can't teach peddle high sugar energy drinks... which are illegal in Denmark by the way.

Where was I? Ah yes, so an all-nighter tonight followed by the early check-in to a near-by hotel. for 'day-sleep'. So far that's the plan. Poker money wise I'm up to two nights, with a little extra for the laundry service. No room service as of yet.

But I had a great Whitstable adventure, so right now I can do without sleep for a while.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home