Name:
Location: Kent, United Kingdom

Stephen Bartley writes about poker and gambling. His passions away from work and family are horse racing, tea, drink and politics. Having escaped London, a world that involved double locks and baseball bats hidden by the door, Stephen moved with his partner, step-daughter and young son to Whitstable, a seaside town in Kent, where he resides in a coastal fortress with astonishing fields of fire. That makes it good for nights in, watching American racing, drinking cocktails and getting early nights.

Saturday, September 09, 2006

Hobbies and perfectionism problems

I had a plan this year to try and carve some kind of hobby for myself. The plan was to follow several European football teams that I had some faint form of allegiance to. Then, keep track in a diary or something, just to record that the world was actually taking place around me. It felt like a great idea in the summer. Then, like so many of my other ideas, it fell away. I think I suffer from a strain of perfectionism. If I can’t do it really well, I won’t do it at all. My standards are high, and sometimes the enjoyment is in the idea rather than carrying it out. It’s a shame.

The teams were from across Europe. First were the easy ones. Tranmere Rovers and West Ham United. My team and my girlfriend’s team. Then, from France, Paris Saint-Germain and Sannois-SG. I like Paris, and the latter is a local team from a small town I used to pass through.

Then there’s Italy, with Hellas Verona and Napoli the picks from there. Verona because of Tim Parks’ book ‘A Season with Verona’ and Napoli because I like the city – a filthy, cramped, Vespa place that I once visited.

I couldn’t think of anymore. And frankly the ones I did choose were dicey at best. The English teams are easy to follow but with the exception of PSG the others played in second divisions or worse. I speak no Italian, so reading the Italian press was out, and UK papers only cover the bigger teams. That left results from the internet the only alternative and that seemed a bit lame.

The French teams are a little easier as I can manage some French, but whilst I know the teams their players are anonymous. How could I tell it was a good game or if someone had had played well? See, the plan had its drawbacks.

But I liked the idea. And it popped up again as I started watching Italian football on the telly this afternoon. Loads has been written about how significant football matches can be, and how great the experience is of watching a game. For me it was the hour before kick off and the feeling afterwards of seeing things that other people will have to watch highlighted on TV. I miss that a bit. Or do I miss a ticket, programme and a cup of tea for £5?

I could still press on with the plan. I could catch up. I like useless information kept in notebooks. But there is the second problem. The notebook would have to be worthy of such as task – expensive, leather bound, perhaps even pretentious. There are all sorts of these problems on the horizon, and it could be Christmas before I have the proper equipment in place. Maybe an even better plan would be more appropriate for the 2006/07 season?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home