Name:
Location: Kent, United Kingdom

Stephen Bartley writes about poker and gambling. His passions away from work and family are horse racing, tea, drink and politics. Having escaped London, a world that involved double locks and baseball bats hidden by the door, Stephen moved with his partner, step-daughter and young son to Whitstable, a seaside town in Kent, where he resides in a coastal fortress with astonishing fields of fire. That makes it good for nights in, watching American racing, drinking cocktails and getting early nights.

Friday, June 02, 2006

Working and the dark. No fear.

Bad form. Not posting for a day. There is such a thing as the blog police, isn't there? Like the Stasi. They spot who is updating regularly and switch off the rest.

But I've been busy. Wednesday was bad, the work never really gripped me and I never gripped it. Trouble starting, a boss feeling the heat from all directions. I tried to lay low. Instead I felt like I was being dragged along gravel.

Tried to wind down during a midnight smoke in the garden. It was quiet and not too cold. I could see the stars and a few planes, possibly lost. Then I heard a leaf move. A moment of foolish calm, followed by more noise and the quick decision to go back indoors. Whatever it was would have been small and possibly furry, but armed only with a burning cigar-end I couldn't take the risk that I hdn't pissed it off. I'm no afraid of the dark, just the monsters that hide in it.

Then today, an early start, too much work, but the iron determination executioners must have had in the old days to get through bad times. I figured I'd just work. After two hours I realised I hadn't even put music on, after four hours I'd forgotten about going into the office. After six hours I was done and only my Editor stood in the way of me and an evening of worry free living.

Didn't quite get it, but what the hell. He's got enough on. I'd earned by pay. And my friend Kate finally had her baby. I say finally, it was three days short of nine months. Nice news is better than not-nice news, and things in general are going well . I've got no reason to feel anything but chipper right now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home